Package as Control Library

Coordinator
Dec 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for the great control.  It's going to be a big help to me.

I saw this discussion about packaging the project up as an easy to use library in the 3.0 version of the control discussions.

http://slg30.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=74207

I don't think we should wait for MS to get their act together with the missing classes we need.  We should just hack in replacements for now.

But that's kind of besides the point.  The control is useful in it's current state and should be packaged into a library so that it can be dropped in and used as is.

If you don't have the energy to change it right now I can do it for you but I'll need commit access since it's a bigger change than we probably want to try to deal with in patches.

Bryan

Coordinator
Dec 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Sure, any help is greatly appreciated. I'm currently working on three other projects, so I appreciate your offer.

OK, now I've never shared access before on codeplex, so give a some time to figure out how to give you permissions.

Thanks again!

Coordinator
Dec 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM

OK, you should be able to connect etc.

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Great.  Thanks for the access.

Moving it to a control library went very smoothly, so I added a Nested Object Editor and a Collection Editor!

I'm having some cosmetic trouble with the editors.  Can't seem to get the readonly textbox to stretch with a button next to it and I'm not happy with text of the collection editor.  But they work and should be useful.

I'm also getting some weird exceptions when accessing some properties using the nested object editor.  Looks like something to do with hitting an indexed property or something.

I'd really like to have a description area that shows the System.ComponentModel.DescriptionAttribute values.  Would that be hard to add somehow?

Thanks again for the great control.  We should get a new release out now.

Bryan Livingston

http://virtue.smote.com

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Thank you for the excellent additions. Nice job!

Also, I fixed the display issue, just needed to use a grid. Also implemented the override for ToString on the car object to output a friendly dispay of the object.

Thanks again!!

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 6:32 AM

So I just checked in some more improvements.  Basically just fixing things that were driving me crazy.

I added a description area and am now showing the DescriptionAttribute if available.

Added multi-line string editing.

Changed the error handling so that the annoying message box doesn't show when you start typing a decimal with the period first.

Thanks again for the great control!

Bryan

Coordinator
Aug 30, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Nice, thanks for the enhancements!